Visiting Research Faculty
Visiting Faculty - Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor and Lecturer
Visiting Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and Lecturers are normally from another academic institution and are at UBC while on sabbatical. These visitors’ appointments will normally be made at the rank that they hold in the home institutions, or by an appropriate equivalent rank, preceded by the word "visiting". Appointees must hold continuing appointments or have emeritus status at other universities or institutions to which they expect to return; visiting positions are normally held for a maximum of two years.
Visiting Scientists are usually researchers who do not hold an academic appointment elsewhere but are currently employed in a non-academic position, who are coming to work in our labs temporarily. It is expected that such appointees will return to their positions. These positions are normally held for a maximum of 2 years.
Please check the link below to learn more about the UBC visiting appointment policies. If you have questions not answered on this weblink, please contact the Secretary to the Head (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Visiting Appointment - Application Process
- All visiting appointments at MECH are normally made by invitation only. Interested parties are to contact the respective faculty members in their particular research fields for sponsorship of the visit.
- Once the faculty member has approved the visiting, he/she will email the details or submit a completed MECH Request for Letter of Invitation form to the Secretary to the Head.
- Visitor to submit following documents for the invitation process. Please email to Secretary to the Head (email@example.com), and send the originals by regular airmail.
- A letter of permission from his/her home university or company, to be signed by the School Registrar or Department Head (on university/company letterhead) confirming the current academic/employment status with the school/company, the purpose of the visit (i.e., research activities, degree requirements at the home university or sabbatical leave) as well as his/her continuance of studying/ employment when return to the home university/institute after the visiting term.
- A Current CV (stating education, employment and research backgrounds. Date of birth and current mailing address to be included).
- Letter of financial support (for traveling, living and accommodation expenses while in Canada).
- Letter of References (if applicable – directly send by supervisor and another researcher in your department).
- Upon receipt of the above documents and confirmation from the sponsoring faculty member, the secretary will initiate the formal appointment process. A Letter of Invitation and CIC letter will be issued to the visitor, which will allow the visitor to apply for a visiting or working permit (if applicable).
- In order to activate the appointment (i.e. employee number, CWL and library card etc.), the visitor is requested to report to the Secretary to the Head once he/she arrives in Vancouver.
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of British Columbia
2054 – 6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4
Fax (604) 822-2403
Please note - the visiting appointees are not members of the Faculty Association, and are
not eligible for pension and benefits.
Last reviewed 12/15/2009 10:18:56 AM