How to Apply
Applying to Mechatronics
Intake for the program is at the end of first year Engineering, prior to entry into second year. Admission to the option is conditional on acceptance into the Mechanical Engineering Department. In addition to the normal intake period, a very limited number of placements are available for students entering at the end of Mech 2, and for students entering Mechanical Engineering from the Camosun Bridge program.
Applications should include:
- First Round - March 31st of each year, 4:00 pm;
- Second Round - June 1st of each year, 4:00 pm.
- If the deadline falls on a weekend, applications are due at 4:00 pm on Friday.
- Mechatronics Application Form;
- Cover letter;
- Transcripts - official transcripts not required for UBC students (a print out from the Student Service Centre will suffice);
- Design Portfolio: Other pertinent evidence of potential in Mechatronics Design - applicants are encouraged to submit their own designs and innovations, if they have any, that demonstrate their interest and creativity - see the FAQ page for more information.
Note: Design Portfolios must be presented on 8 1/2" x 11" (letter-sized) paper, and be suitable for black and white photocopying. If you wish to present something in colour, please provide four copies, mounted to 8 1/2" x 11" paper. Please do not submit CDs, DVDs or similar.
Please do not staple your application (or individual components) together. Applications should be held together with a binder clip, paper clip, or placed loosely into an oversize envelope (please do not fold applications).
- All applicants must have completed all core first year engineering courses by April 30 or the time of application (whichever is later).
- Applications selected for interview will be notified by email. Interviews for the first round will take place near the end of the April exam period; interviews for the second round will take place shortly after the submission deadline.
- Completed applications should be submitted to the address on the application form. The office is open Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm and 2:00 - 4:00 pm only. Note that email submissions will not be accepted!
Notes for College Transfer Student applicants:
In order for your application to be considered you must apply and be accepted into the 2nd Year UBC Engineering program, and apply to second year Mechanical Engineering by the faculty cut-off date (June 15).
Your application to UBC is a separate process from the application to the Mechatronics Program (i.e., you must apply and be accepted to UBC independent of your application to the Mechatronics Program). Students transferring from colleges or other universities should see Undergraduate Admission to UBC and Admission to 2nd Year Engineering for details on how to apply to UBC 2nd Year Engineering. For more details regarding applying to UBC 2nd Year Engineering, you can contact UBC Engineering Student Services at +1 604.822.6556 (after reviewing the above web pages, of course!)
Last reviewed 3/1/2010 10:59:50 AM